Tuesday 8 March 2011

Jif Lemon Day

All images from We Heart It

In the UK, and a whole host of other countries around the world, today is Pancake Tuesday! Each year, for 30 years, I've been gorging myself on yummy, sticky pancakes on this very day. But why??

I was brought up Catholic so I've always been aware that officially, Pancake Tuesday (Shrove Tuesday) signifies the day before Lent (Ash Wednesday). I was never particularly interested in the greater religious connotations of things, so when I was ickle, this meant I got to stuff my face with pancakes, 'give up' something I really enjoyed - sweets, chocolate, fizzy juice - for what seemed like FOREVER and at the end of it all I was rewarded with stacks of chocolate Easter eggs. So I kinda got it: feast, fast, feast. But why the humble pancake?? Why not mountains of profiterole gateau like I had the other night? I suppose 'back in the day' a pancake was pretty decadent - you need sugar, eggs and butter or such like to make one and I'm sure your average single-end tenement dwellers would have thought this a pretty extravagent gesture.

Will you be whisking up a batch at some point today? What tickles your fancy? Fat and squidgy or thin and crispy? And what's your choice of poison for the topping or filling?

I'm a thin and crispy kinda gal with a light sprinkle of sugar and a good squirt of the old Jif lemon. Gotta keep the filling to a minimum to optimize room for maximum pancakes, OR, if I choose to keep the pancakes at a minimum, I go for the full hog: lashing of runny Nutella, chopped bananas, skooshy cream and a sprinkling of toasted coconut. Nom, nom, nom...

4 comments:

  1. MY MOUTH IS WATERING!!

    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awhhh, i used to LOVE Jif lemons! I'm going to go and buy one now. Have a lovely pancake day!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I attempted to make nice thin and cripsy panakes last night. Didn't go so well...

    Thought I was being smart and picked up Betty Crocker's 'Shake and Make' at Morrison's last week. Just add water. But how much??? Batter was too runny so my pancakes looked like smushed up scrambled eggs. A right royal Betty Cock-up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought that Betty Crocker bottle thing too, it actually went really well! I added 200ml of water, which didn't seem like much at all but it thickened up nicely in the end. Pretty good for the 70p I spent on it. That said, the last couple of pancakes did look a bit peely-wally.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...