Monday 22 November 2010

Confessions Of A Shopaholic

Only this week I was banging on to Mr G that I'm so glad I don't have an addictive personality. I don't smoke - tried for a bit when I was younger, but it was easy to stop. I don't overdo it on the booze, I can easily switch to juice after I've had a few and after losing over 3 stone a few years back, I can control my eating habits at the drop of a hat.

But then it occured to me... I'm a shopaholic.

I do it to calm me down, when I'm excited, when I'm angry.
I literally can't pass a shop without feeling the pull, the urge, to at least go inside.
Frequently, I'll hop off the bus in town after work at about 5.25pm. Do a full circle of Frasers ground floor (jewellery, shoes, make-up and perfume), out onto Argyle Street, window shop Schuh, Accessorize and Warehouse before cutting up Queen Street, into Primark, through the shop, exiting back onto Argyle Street and then making Topshop my final destination before hopping on my second bus home.
That 30 minute fix is a good short-term solution. Not enough time to actually try anything on or buy anything, but enough time to browse and pick out things I might want to revisit on an extended shopping trip later that week.
If I can't make it to the shops, a quick splurge on Ebay or ASOS is good, but no instant gratification.
Christmas shopping hell? Not for me. All those little 'add-ons' that line the queues? Pretty lights adorning the street? And the smell of mulled wine emanating from the German Market? Simply bliss...

What's your addiction?

8 comments:

  1. Shoes! Preferably Zombie shoes or Bubblegum smelling shoes! High heels, boots, flats, laces, slip ons any type of shoe, I can't throw out old shoes out either no matter how worn out they are.
    I would just like to add your crazy for liking the shops around Christmas time, I was in town on Saturday it was repulsed to say the least at how rude and ignorant people were as they pushed past each other in the mobbed streets and shops and it is not even December yet, I shall be avoiding the city centre from now on unless my life depends on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a love/hate relationship with shopping. Like you I feel that pull when I pass shop windows or am in shops but I tend to avoid it rather than gravitate towards it. I suppose a combination of being brought up a bargain hunter and having spent more of my adult life skint than otherwise it's generally window shopping with no other option - so I don't put myself through the agony of wanting what I can't have.

    I definately have my own addictions though - I am a chronic fangirl and get horribly obsessed with things like bands, books, movies and tv programs at the drop of the hat. I'm one of those people that when I'm obsessed with something I think about it/read about it CONSTANTLY. I've been like that since BROS so I don't think it's going to change any time soon!

    I'm also a hoarder - but in recent years I've managed to beat that mostly into digital formats ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im the same! Shopping is my vice... and food - but trying to change that haha! I dont drink to excess most of the time, and when I do, its rarely me buying the drinks, I've never smoked and I dont partake in any other activitys.

    I need to shop. It is an addiction, I feel awesome when I shop, I get that buzz as my card is accepted. Im happy to admit it. I love a good bargin but I also like good quality, so my addiction is becoming more expensive. Oh No!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am surprised we don't bump into each other more often - I do pretty much the same after work routine as you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a shopaholic too. Most of my shopping is online though. Lately I have been working on reducing what I buy as I have no space in my wardrobe and I am also a hoarder but I think the irge will always be there.

    Thanks for stopping by, love your blog

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely blog :)

    visit mine maybe you can follow me if you like or follow eachother?

    http://upworldbykc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear I'm not the only weirdo out there!

    Smu - I love your hoard collection - it makes me happy, but I bet Corneilius is pleased you've turned digital ;)

    L x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...